BackBackMenuCloseClosePlusPlusSearchUluleUluleChatFacebookInstagramLinkedInTwitterYouTubefacebooktwitterB CorporationBcorp /* ULULE BRAND LOGOS */

• New Ululer

Living and studying abroad is a lot of fun. Unfortunately, it does sometimes mean missing friends, family, and even holidays! As a huge fan of food, I am really missing Thanksgiving. Not only is this day full of feasting, it is also a time when the whole family gets together. 

Not to be left out, I have decided to scope where to go in London and still enjoy my favorite holiday. Trekking into the city can be stressful, plus November weather can be rainy and cold. I love to get some down time in room with day use through DayBreakHotels, or check into an Airbnb just to get some time inside. Afterwards, I will be ready for the big turkey and Thanksgiving celebrations!

St.Paul’s Cathedral

Every year, the cathedral hosts an American Thanksgiving Day Service. The service is free and open to the public and caters to American traditions. This includes a speech from the ambassador from the American Embassy, traditional American hymns, and many other aspects that will remind you of church in the USA. 

Plymouth, England

Yes, the original hometown of the pilgrims also celebrate thanksgiving. The event celebrates the departure of the Mayflower and her arrival in the Americas. The event stopped for a few years and has not been active since 2015. However; the organization’s Facebook page promises that something great will happen this year with details coming soon. 

If nothing comes together this year then don’t fear. Next year in 2020, will be the 400 year commemoration of the departure of the Mayflower. The event will feature cultural exhibitions, community activities, outdoor installations and more. The Mayflower 400 programme will host events throughout the entire year to recognize Plymouth’s rich history of transatlantic voyages.

Nordic Bar, London

A big part of celebrating Thanksgiving is the annual football game. Ever since 1920, the NFL has been scheduling games on the holiday. This year, they are serving us three great matchups. First, Bears take on the Lions in Detroit. Then the classic Dallas game, this time with the Cowboys hosting the Bills. Then finally Saints take on the Falcons in Atlanta for a division game between rivals. I’m sure the Saints will dominate, but I do not think I will be up until 1 am to find out. With so much football where can one go? Luckily London’s bars are willing to show some of the games, but more so Nordic Bar is hosting an NFL Thanksgiving Party. Down on Oxford St. this is sure to be a sell out like last year. 

Luckily there are also plenty of restaurants in London that serve Thanksgiving feasts. Make sure to book ahead of November 28th as many places fill up quickly. Restaurants offer catered menus from price ranges between £30 - 55. With all these great options hopefully one won’t miss the holiday too much. It’s a great time for remembering all that you are thankful for in your life.

Be the first to reply

Statistics

Views